Saturday, October 9, 2010

Dog Training On Your Walks

Its so easy to incorporate training in your daily life. One of the ways I have been working on attention with my puppy is on our walks. I have a few games I play.

When a stranger passes us, I work on keeping good attention. Nothing is more rude than a dog rushing up to a stranger. I bring treats with me on my walks because my puppy is still young and learning. When I see a person coming, I get a few treats in my hand and I ask my puppy to heel. If he is having trouble I may ask him for a sit. Once the person is really close to us, I start giving the treats to reward the puppy for staying. If the puppy gets up I might back away from the person and wait for that nice attention. Over time I will teach him that staying with me earns a reward, trying to visit the person gets him nothing.

The second thing I practice is the name call. Everyone wants a dog that looks at them when they say their name. In the house most puppies will do this pretty easily, outside where its distracting, its a lot harder. I randomly say my puppies name in a nice tone and reward close to my body. I will also goose my dog and say his name -its just an added layer for the puppy to have fun.

Finally, for my dog training on my walks is incorporating heeling. At various points I will setup my dog in a nice sit, get into formal heel mode and heel for a varying amount of steps. I then reward and do it again. I try to practice more advanced dog training like heeling in a less distracting area. As my puppy gets older I will expect more from him.

Share on Facebook


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment